Office location: Los Angeles, CA
Stillwater Sciences is seeking highly-motivated and talented junior- to mid-level biologists to join our interdisciplinary staff for on-call positions. We are looking for biologists interested in applying their knowledge of California wildlife and/or flora to a variety of projects in the greater Los Angeles region.
Responsibilities may include pre-construction surveys, construction compliance monitoring, wildlife monitoring, plant identification and surveys, and/or habitat assessments. This is an on-call temporary position. Field efforts may be scheduled on short notice and field personnel will need to confirm their availability or unavailability for a given field effort on short notice. Applicants need not be available for every field effort.
The ideal applicant should have:
• A minimum of a BS or BA in biology or natural resource field with 1–2+ years’ experience in the environmental field
• Excellent wildlife and/or plant identification skills, preferable with a technical specialty (e.g., birds,
herpetofauna, small mammals, aquatic ecology, plants, etc.)
• Experience conducting special-status wildlife and/or plant species surveys or habitat assessments in southern California
• Southern California botanical knowledge, including familiarity with California vegetation community types
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Endurance to work long days (10- to 14-hours)
• Good attitude and ability to hike to remote and steep field locations in all types of weather
• Competency to follow directions and field safety protocols
• Solid navigational skills using maps and GPS
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel software programs
• Attention to detail and commitment to sound science
Depending on the project, the field technician may be responsible for:
• Pre-construction surveys and/or construction monitoring as part of project permit compliance
• Wildlife and/or botanical surveys including habitat assessments
• Data processing including recording and entering data with quality control check
Availability, Compensation, and Application Details:
• On-call position.
• Please send a cover letter with a resume in MS Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please include “On-call Biologist” in the subject line of the email.
• Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
• Applications will be reviewed on a continual basis until the position is filled.
• Electronic submissions preferred.